When working with documents and printers, there often occur various problems with regards to the final printing of the documents. The problem however is more prevalent while using the MS Office components be it excel or word files. The moment you try to get a print out of the documents, you find the error saying ‘The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable‘; which means that the printer hasn’t been detected and therefore the process cannot be carried out further.
On the other hand, the problem doesn’t occur while using various other applications for some unknown reason and the printer is easily detected too. In case you are wondering why the error is prevalent in the case of MS office components only, the answer is the user permissions do not allow the printer to be listed in MC Office due to which it cannot be detected either. There are a couple of steps and fixes you can take to in order to get rid of this ‘service currently unavailable’ issue.
FIX 1: The Active Directory Domain Services Is Currently Unavailable
Caution: BE careful while you make the manipulations as mistakes could result in the system getting affected. It is therefore advisable to be cautious while following the steps and making changes in the entries. Also, have a backup for your system as you proceed with the proceedings.
+ R and in the dialogue box that appears enter ‘regedit’ followed by a click on ok.
2. Having run the regedit, from the left pane of the registry editor, go to the following:
3. Next, there will be three sub keys in the current Version key- the Devices, Printer Ports and the Windows. Now, in order to get the permission, all you need to do is click each one of them with a right click and from there choose permissions from each of them separately. Having done that, the following windows will open:
4. From here, you are supposed to select the user account/user names label on which the fix has to be done. Having done that you will have to tick mark on allow in front of the ‘full control’ option. Next click on OK!
With this close the Registry editor and restart your PC and unplug the printer and reinstall it again. The error is now gone and fix has been made. Now that you can easily detect the printer on MS Office components, the permissions can be changes from the step followed above.
FIX 2 : The Active Directory Domain Services Is Currently Unavailable
In case the above method doesn’t work out or seems to be complicated, you can simply add the printer with the help of apps. Here, let us take the example of Notepad!
1. Close all the office components on your PC and visit Notepad. From here click on file and choose print or with the help of shortcuts, select the print option.
2. Now, from here you will have to select the option of ‘Find printer’.
Simply go on with the details and steps to be followed from this screen. The printer is now added!