When I was looking for a web hosting company, one of the first companies that I came across was HostMonster. It may appear to you that HostMonster is just another web hosting company. But being a firsthand user of the facilities, I will provide you with a detailed review for HostMonster along with the various facilities provided by it, the plans it offers and the pros and cons of the system so that you can decide whether or not it is fit for what you are looking for.
Belonging to EIG or Endurance International Group, HostMonster is one of the 40 Webhosting brand that the company owns with a customer base of nearly 2 million. With its headquarters in Utah, HostMonster is mainly popular for the budget friendly plans it offers. It allows the users to start up with simple plans which can be upgraded to a more pro level or even allows customers to add various features to it. HostMonster is one of the veteran web hosting companies which was started way back in 1996 and has been quite popular among users ever since.
But the real question is why you should use HostMonster when there are so many companies present, which offer kind of the same services. According to my personal experience with the services what makes HostMonster a class apart are the following:
- Reliability: The database of HostMonster is in Utah at its headquarters. The servers which are provided to the customers are monitored by able technicians all round the clock to provide the customers with undisrupted service. It is used along with a synchronized power system which provides optimum level of service to all the customers and prevents any kind of outage that may occur. The fact that the data center is balanced in its proceedings also helps in providing ace services to all the customers present. The system also has an additional USP system for providing backup power in cases of emergency, so that the customers won’t have to face any kind of trouble. In case the data available to the data system is lost accidentally, there is also a backup system which will help you in recovering the same. HostMonster also claims to provide 99.9% of uptime, but I am yet to test it.
- Support: One of the best part of HostMonster is the customer service it provides. With its online Help center and customer care executives, HostMonster has one of the best customer service system. With the online Help center you will be able to access a host of articles which are purely knowledge based along with various resources like users’ manuals, how to get started with the whole system of HostMonster as well as a forum where you can interact with other users of the system and exchange tips on how to use it better. These resources have helped me immensely in my initial days of getting to know HostMonster and still does to resolve any kind of difficulties that I face while using the same.
For tech based issues, I have never been disappointed by the customer service staff who are available throughout the day to help. I have multiple options to reach them. I can reach out to them via mail, telephone or even live chat option available on the website.
All these support services are available to all the customers whenever they wish to avail them. However, if you have any billing-related issues then you have to reach out to them during specific hours only or else your queries won’t be entertained. One of the best parts about HostMonster is the fact that they are pretty active on their social media sites and entertain issues there too. Their Twitter feed is regularly updated and replied too. But in the case of Facebook, the fan page of HostMonster is more active than the official page of the same.
- Control Panel: This is a unique feature of HostMonster which aids a lot in case I want to get off from one of the other service providers and subscribe onto the HostMonster services. The cPanel available on the website helped me to take care of a lot of administrative tasks which otherwise would have been difficult to overcome. HostMonster cPanel helps you to accomplish a lot of usually practiced programs of the web hosting industry, which can be otherwise difficult to get done if this service was not available.
- Money Back or Cancellation: When you are dealing with HostMonster, they have one of the easiest cancellation policies if you are not satisfied with their services or want to discontinue due to any other reasons. All you have to do is call them up or drop a mail or even just notify them via live chat that you want to discontinue. They will ask you for the verification of the account or domain that you have and voila! It’s done. You will be entitled to a complete refund in case the cancellation is done within three days of the registration. But if done within three to thirty days, you will have to make a payment for the domain name that you have used and also any Postini or Dedicated IP that you may have used during the period.
One of the best part of working with HostMonster is the fact that you get to choose from a host of various plans offered and each of these plans have various sub plans for further convenience of selection. I will provide you with a detailed description of the various plans along with the sub plans so that you can evaluate each of them and select the one which is best suited for your requirements.
- Shared Hosting: Under this plan you can share the service with other web hosters. It comes with sub-packages of Basic, Plus, Prime as well as Pro which offer various combinations of features to go with them. The Basic ranges between $9.49 and $10.99 depending on whether you are choosing for 36, 24 or 12 months. Plus has a range of $12.49 to $14.99, Prime come for $14.99 to $16.99 and pro comes for $24.99 to $27.99.
- VPS Hosting: The VPS hosting allows you to run almost all software which are in compliance with the HostMonster OS. It comes for Standard, Enhanced, Premium and Ultimate for a price of $14.99, $29.99, $44.99 and $59.99 respectively for each month of usage.
- Dedicated Hosting: With the privilege of getting your own server, you also get to choose amongst Standard, Enhanced and Premium plans which comes for $149.99, $199.99 and $249.99 respectively.
HostMonster comes with a number of different features which will surely enrich your web hosting experience in the long run. Below are some of the most important features of HostMonster web hosting services.
- Unlimited Free Domain: Once you sign up to any plan from HostMonster you get the opportunity of using unlimited domain from the services all throughout your life.
- Unlimited Bandwidth: No matter which plan of HostMonster you are signing up for, you will always have the advantage of getting unlimited bandwidth from the servers of HostMonster to exploit and utilize for your benefits.
- Hosting Space: Hosting space can be a big issue when you are creating your website. Limited hosting space can make you compromise on the website that you are creating. Thankfully, HostMonster allows you the privilege of having unlimited hosting space so that you can create the website of your dreams.
- Email Accounts: When you sign up to any of the plans of HostMonster you get to add innumerable number of e-mail accounts without any additional costs for the same.
- Domain Hosting: Domain hosting space also becomes unlimited with the various plans of HostMonster.
- Email Autoresponders: When it comes to a busy work schedule, auto response is one of the biggest boons hat you can come across. It helps you to generate reply to various people when they send you an email and you are away from the system. HostMonster allows you to get unlimited autoresponders for your website.
- Parked Domains: The best feature of parked domain is that they can have their unique e-mail address. You can have as many parked domain as you want when your website is hosted by HostMonster.
- FTP Accounts: When you sign up with HostMonster for hosting your website, you automatically get an FTP account which helps you to upload things on and manage your website with utmost ease. But you can also add unlimited FTP accounts with HostMonster so as to make your job more convenient when it comes to managing the websites.
- Free Online Stores: If your website is for selling and promoting goods for the customer, then you absolutely need an online store which will showcase your products for the customers to view and buy. HostMonster automatically provides you with a superb free online store which you can use to your benefit.
- Search Engine Submission: Search engine submissions, which are essential for the popularity of your website, come free when you buy any plan on HostMonster.
- Free $100 Google Play Credits: When it comes to hosting an entire website, many apps and tools become necessity to the user. Many of these apps come for a price and having a $100 worth Google Play Credits surely helps in the purchase process. It comes free with HostMonster.
- Courtesy Site Backups: These are essential to the storage of the data that you have in case you run into any kind of trouble with the website which will cause a loss of these data. HostMonster offers excellent services when it comes to backup of such data.
- US-based Customer Support Team: Whenever you run into trouble with v, no matter how minor it is, you can always keep faith in the excellent support team of HostMonster to resolve all your issues.
- Easy Web Setup along with Site Builder: Setting up your web page or building up your site is made tenfold easier with the help of HostMonster. Just sign up and you can set up as well as manage your website easily and fast.
- Additional Services: HostMonster offers a host of other services which can be integrated within the website that you are hosting through it, like WordPress, Gallery, and much more.
When it comes to web hosting, there are many deals offered by companies time to time that not only saves your hard earned money but will give you exciting deals on domains as well. You can check all the coupons here that you can apply to save money and to know more about other promotional offers.
Pros of HostMonster
HostMonster is not popular just because it is around for 16 years. It has certain pros which makes it so dear to its users.
- Even the basic shared hosting provides you with unlimited domains which you can use for hosting your website properly.
- HostMonster is one of the most budget-friendly web hosting services ever.
- If and when needed, HostMonster will provide you with the luxury of dedicated IPs.
- The cPanel has a tightly integrated billing system as well as a CloudFlare for the benefit of the users. The CloudFlare integration makes sure that you get a server which isn’t down even in a downtime situation.
- In my experience of a solo account with HostMonster, I got an uptime of around 99.8% which is fairly good.
- Whenever in need, you will be able to reach out to their US based customer support unit within minutes.
Cons of HostMonster
Like all good things, HostMonster also has a dark side to it which can be a little bugging at times.
- As the payment is on a yearly basis, my money tends to be tied up with the HostMonster account. A monthly basis payment system would have been better.
- If you are approaching the customer support via the chat option, you may have to wait up for a certain period of time before you can actually talk to them.
- Any queries which is not available on the scripted reply provided to the customer support, doesn’t get entertained properly.
- HostMonster requires longer time to activate the CMS of the websites which are hosted.
Now comes the main and most important question of all: Should I go for HostMonster? Well, from my experience HostMonster is no different from the other web hosting services available online. However, which attracts e to the services of HostMonster is the fact that it offers the most budget friendly web hosting service I have come across with all the required features there can be. Also the customer support system of HostMonster is brilliant as well as fast.
If you ask me, I will definitely suggest HostMonster as your web hosting services because of the reliability, responsiveness, reputation, knowledge and price sensitive nature.