In this century, as the non-renewable energy (like Coal, petroleum, etc.) are getting scarce more thoughts are put into renewable energy. One such energy is the Solar power that is provided by the Sun. This energy will not get finished ever or the day till the Sun dies out. Although solar power was prevalent long ago, its usages over large scale have started very recently, as people have realized its real potential. One such device to harness solar power is a solar PV cell.
- 1 What are Solar PV cells?
- 2 INDIA and its Solar Panel:
- 3 Solar Power History in India:
- 4 Solar Panel Price in India (सोलर पैनल की कीमत):
- 5 Solar Panel Price in India for Home Use:
- 6 Subsidy for Solar Panel in India (Government subsidies for solar panels in domestic homes)
- 7 1 kW Solar Panel Price in India:
- 8 Solar Panel Manufacturers in India:
- 9 Conclusion:
What are Solar PV cells?
Solar PV cells or Solar Photo – Volt Cell is the basic building block of the PV system. These Solar PV cells are made from semiconducting materials which produce electricity when sunlight falls on them. Many such Solar PV cells are joined together to form the Solar PV module which can generate up to 300 W of power.
Solar PV cells are not made only from silicone. It is mixed with different materials, and the efficiency of these Solar PV cells depend on them. Roughly, you get efficiency as low as 4% to as high as 16%. If you want to generate electricity for your home or any other place, you need multiple such Solar PV modulo to generate enough power to support that place. Generally, it depends on the location and how many electric appliances will you need to run.
INDIA and its Solar Panel:
Harnessing Solar Power in India has increased in the recent years. As of 2017, India has Solar Power Grid which has a capacity to generate 16.20 GW of power. India has made much development in creating a better and more efficient Solar PV cells. India plans to produce over 100 GW by the end of 2022.
Solar Power History in India:
Before we talk about the details of solar power, let us talk about what is the condition of Solar Panel and how much power it generates. As India is a tropical country, it receives sunlight almost every day. Assuming there are 300 clear and sunny days and calculating it with the size of the land that is present in India, an estimate of 5000 trillion Kilo – Watt power is received every year. This ability is more than the total energy generated and needed by the whole India. Among all the states in India, Rajasthan is the most suitable place to use the solar PV system as it receives almost 365 days of solar light, especially in the desert. It is also the top states to produce the maximum power through solar panels.
Solar Panel Price in India (सोलर पैनल की कीमत):
As Electricity is becoming expensive day by day, you might think of switching to the solar panel to meet your demand. Buying solar PV is a one-time investment which comes at ₹30 and ₹50 per watt of power generated. This is just the cost of the panel, extra charge for inverters or batteries. There are different panels with different watt rating. Also, the setup of solar panel is different depending on your needs. Thus, you should first decide which and for what solar PV you need for. There is a subsidy on solar panels if you buy from an Indian manufacturer. Although, it depends on many conditions which we will talk about later in this section. Though, recent trends show substantial import of Chinese Solar panel due to their cheap cost.
You will find more solar panel installation of North – Eastern region of India due to theavailability of land and a clear sky. As most of the landshave less open ground space, plans are made to implement them of roof-tops for anincrease in power generation by asolar panel. Indian Government has started mission like theJawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission to install and generate more electricity through solar power. Government through the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has introduced many subsidy or cess which will reduce the capital cost and encourage different people to install solar power plant using solar PV system. Installing Solar PV system, though theinitialcost is high, its long run and maintenance cost is almost 0 and has a lifespan of more than 40 years. Below we will be discussing all the price of the Solar PV system and where you can buy from.
Solar Panel Price in India for Home Use:
If you are planning to install a solar panel in your home to reduce the cost of the electricity then you must first go through all the thing you must know before purchasing anything.
- Indian made solar PV, and Imported Solar PV are all the same prices, but if you want a subsidy, then you have to go for Indian product.
- Next, you have to think about how you want to connect your Solar panels. Solar panels can be joined by two ways:
- Grid Connection: In Grid Connection, whatever power you generate will be routed back to your electricity supplier. This is good for places where you do not have a frequent power cut. Your bill is generated based on net consumption (electricity spent – electricity generated). If you produce more electricity than consumed, it gets forwarded to next month. Before you go for this check for the policies of your respective state.
- Off-Grid Connection: A more expensive connection, here you have on-site batteries to store the electricity produced. This connection is useful for those where they have a lot of power cuts. As said, this connection is expensive as you have tobuy batteries to the connection. Another drawback is that your battery is not 100% efficient, so there will be aloss of stored power.
- There are two types of solar PV cells. One is Monocrystalline, and other is Polycrystalline. Each of these PV cells has its own pros and cons.
- As the name suggests, monocrystalline solar panels are made with Single Crystal Silicon whereas Polycrystalline are made from many silicone crystals.
- They are quite expensive compared to Polycrystalline, but they are more efficient than the latter.
- Monocrystalline has alonger life compared to the polycrystalline. Monocrystalline comes with 25 years of warranty with them.
- Lastly, you have to consider the efficiency of the solar panels you are buying. Solar Panel gives an average 13% to 19% efficiency. Based on that you must implement a total number of solar panel you need.
From the above, you need to decide what and which Solar PV system you want and how much you need to spend on it.Generally assuming you get 1KWh Solar PV system, it can cost you up to ₹1,39,000 including all the battery and other accessories required.
Subsidy for Solar Panel in India (Government subsidies for solar panels in domestic homes)
If you wish to set your solar panel system at low cost, then you can avail this under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission. Under this scheme, you can avail up to 40% subsidy on the capital cost of Solar PV Systems located both in rural as well as in Urban areas. As of 2016, the government has released a priority list for obtaining subsidy on Solar Panel. Public School and institute has the highest priority while that of the residential area has the lowest priority. But there are few terms and Condition that must be met to avail this subsidy for Solar Panel. Here we give you the ways you must approach to get the subsidy.
- The first step is to choose the right supplier / manufacturer. This supplier or manufacturer must be an Indian origin, and it must be approved by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE). All the preferred supplier and Manufacturer are listed on their website. Click here to get the list of them.
- Next, you must choose only the approved model along with the mention watt. The list of approved models is listed below.
|Models||Panels (Wp)||Battery Capacity||Maximum recommended load and Duty Cycle||Benchmark Cost||Max Capital Subsidy|
(₹108 per watt)
|I||10||12 V, 7AH (SMF)||5 to 7 – Watt Load for 3 to 4 hours|
(20 – Watt hrs / day)
|₹ 2700||₹ 1080|
|II||18 – 20||12 V, 20 AH (Tubular L.M. / Gel VRLA)||10 – watt load for 4 hours (40 – watt hours / day)||₹ 4860 –|
|III||37 – 40||12 V, 40 AH (Tubular L.M. / Gel VRLA)||20 – watt load for 4 hours (80 – watt hours / day)||₹ 9990 –|
|IV||50||12 V, 60 AH (Tubular L.M. / Gel VRLA)||30 – watt load for 4 hours (120 – watt hours / day)||₹ 13500||₹ 5400|
|V||70 – 80||12 V, 80 AH (Tubular L.M. / Gel VRLA)||45 – watt load for 4 hours (180 – watt hours / day)||₹ 18900 –|
|VI||100||12 V, 120 AH (Tubular L.M. / Gel VRLA)||60 – watt load for 4 hours (240 – watt hours / day)||₹ 27000||₹ 10800|
|VII||125||12 V, 150 AH (Tubular L.M. / Gel VRLA)||75 – watt load for 4 hours (300 – watt hours / day)||₹ 33750||₹ 13500|
|VIII||150 – 160||24 V, 75 / 80 AH (Tubular L.M. / Gel VRLA)||90 – watt load for 4 hours (360 – watt hours / day)||₹ 40500 –|
|IX||200 – 210||24 V, 100 / 120 AH (Tubular L.M. / Gel VRLA)||120 – watt load for 4 hours (480 – watt hours / day)||₹ 54000 –|
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) provide a benchmark from time to time according to NABARD document. If your unit cost is less than that benchmark you get a full 40% subsidy, else you will be limited to the subsidy as mention in the above table
- Other than aPublic or private company, anyone can avail this subsidy. But as of 2016, thegovernment has issued a priority list, through which highest group on the priority list is preferred first. Accordingly, Public school or Institute is preferred first, and residential are preferred
- You must have an account with a public nationalized bank or any regional rural bank.
- If you get 40% subsidy, you can avail a loan for the rest 60%.
- After all the above has been verified by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), the subsidy is released. The rest 60% is paid through aloan which you will need to pay back through EMIs.
1 kW Solar Panel Price in India:
A generally speaking a solar panel comes with a price of ₹ 30 to ₹ 50 per watt. This amount is exclusive of any accessories needed. If you require installing batteries or inverter to store the power, the additional cost is expected. Here we will be discussing a rough estimate of how much is required if you are going to install 1 kW off- Grid Solar power plant.
As off-grid will be astand-alone system, you will be required additional batteries to support the solar power plant. All the equipment that arerequired are:
- PV Module which can generate 1 kW of electricity
- PV module Capacity of 250 kwp.
- Ideally, for generating 1 kW, you will need total of 4 panels each with a rating of 250 W of power generation
- As you are using 1 kW of solar panel, you will need an inverter PSU which has a capacity of 1 kW
- Batteries required to support it two with the rating of 150 Ah with 12 V.
You must have a bright space of a minimum of 50 sq. foot. You must install on space where you get sunlight directly without any obstacle. You can even use your rooftop if you have enough space for that. Most of the company offers 5 years warranty on all the component including the batteries and 25 years on the solar panel.
Now coming to the cost of this setup.Assuming that you get the solar panels at a cost price not more than ₹50 and including all the battery and inverter. You will get all this at a cost price of ₹ 1 lakh to ₹ 1.10 lakh. Of course, if you are going only for the solar panel you will get it at low cost. If you go for Indian manufacturer and seller of this equipment, then you can useaddition relief on the cost. Check the subsidy that is available based on the model.
Solar Panel Manufacturers in India:
Now that you know what solar panel to go for, but you need to know from whom to buy these products. As said, there is not much price difference between home produced solar PV modules and imported modules. But, the imported modules have higher efficiency at the same price and requires low maintenance cost. But, if you go for imported solar PV modules then you cannot avail the subsidy that is provided by the government.
Some of the top brands who Solar PV modules are as follows:
These are some of the well – known brands that you can see selling solar PV modules. There are of course multiple companies that cell Solar PV cells like there are more than hundred companies that import solar PV cells from China itself to sell them in India. But, they are not as good as the companies mentioned above.
Other than these top companies from where you can buy these Solar PV modules, there are some Indian companies that also sell them. Note that if you are buying from Indian seller or manufacturer, see that you are buying only from Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) approved companies. Then you will be legit to avail the subsidy that the government provides. Some of the top Solar PV module manufacturer and seller as approved by MNRE are:
- Vikram Solar
- Waaree Solae
- Goldi Green Technology Pvt. Ltd.
- Tata Power Solar System Ltd.
- Moser Baer Solar System Ltd.
These are some of the top leading companies that have been approved by the by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE). Click here to see the entire list of all the supported manufacturer and sellers of the Solar PV modular in India. Most of the Solar panels generated 90% of the rated power in the first 10 years and then 80% for the next 25 years. Thus, you get a lifespan of more than 35 years.
Other than buying Solar PV modules from the best seller or manufacturer. You should also purchase batteries or inverters from reliable buyers as they are also the main part of power storage. You should check their efficiency. Some International brand batteries provide more than 95% efficiency. You should set up your batteries with theexcellentheatsink so that you won’t have to worry about the maintenance.
Some of the top brands of batteries and Inverters are:
- SMA Solar
Other than this International company you also get Indian Companies that produce batteries and inverters.
As said before buying both Solar PV system and the battery or inverter from reliable manufacturer or seller will ensure that you connect and forget about it. The system will generate electricity on itsown, and you do not have to go around looking after it.
Generating Solar Power in India has become quite cheap with Cost of Silicone PV cells has reduced drastically. Although the initial cost of setting this Solar PV System is high, in the wrong run, it has almost 0% maintenance cost. Of course, to get 0% maintenance cost you should buy your Solar PV cells that have along life like the Monocrystalline which has the long life. Longevity of the Solar Panel also depends on where you install and the battery that you install with it. You should install Solar PV modular on places like roof-top and areas where there is no damp, and you get adequate sunlight everyday. Another thing is the battery and inverter that you want with the Solar PV modular. The battery or the inverter comes from different seller or manufacturer. As a result, you must see that these have long lasting life.
As the non-renewable energy getting rare day by day and cost of electricity from them is increasing, we must make an effort to move toward the renewable energy that is available so much in abundant especially when you get it in relatively low cost than it was 10 years back. You also get a different subsidy from the government, then what is stopping you from.