- Open Source
- Self Hosted
GNU social (previously known as StatusNet) is a free and open source software microblogging server written in PHP that implements the OStatus standard for interoperation between installations. While offering functionality alike to Twitter, GNU social seeks to provide the potential for open, inter-service and distributed data between microblogging communities.
Companies and individuals can connect and control their services and data. GNU social has been deployed on hundreds of interoperating servers.
- Publish updates via an XMPP/Jabber client
- OpenID provider and authentication
- Federation support via the OStatus protocol
- Subscriptions via PubSubHubbub
- Replies via the Salmon protocol
- Microformat semantic HTML of profiles and notices
- A Twitter-compatible API
- Categorization using hashtags
- Groups, using bangtags
- Localization and translations of UI (using gettext)
- Automatic, self-hosted URL-shortening
- Attachments (add files, images, video, audio to dents)
- Attached media files available in podcast format
- Embedding of content from other sites, like YouTube, Flickr, etc.
- Webmention and Pingback communication with IndieWeb sites
- Geolocations and maps
- SMS updates and notifications
- Cross-posting to Twitter
- Live update of stream