The number of people who fall victim to fake jewelry from online stores increases every year even without realizing it. It’s so easy to buy fake jewelry online as there are now several black sheep among jewelry vendors online.
However, to be sure of the authenticity of your jewelry, you can run an online test using a jewelry authenticity application.
There are different reasons you may want to test the originality of a piece of jewelry. Perhaps you’re planning to shop for wedding rings with your partner— and you want to know whether the women’s and mensweddingbands, which are the symbol of love between you and your spouse, are genuine.
Whatever reasons you have, you can use these software applications to check the authenticity of the gemstones and metals used to make any piece of jewelry.
BIS Care Application
The BIS Care App is a smartphone application developed by the Bureau of Indian Standards. The application tracks all ISI and hallmark-certified gold and silver jewelry, which enables people to verify the purity of such gold or silver jewelry.
The application is free and easy to use. To use it, scan the Hallmark Unique Identification Number on the jewelry. The application will then show the jewelry’s important information including its purity and the date of making.
However, if your piece of jewelry doesn’t have a HUID number, you can’t test for it using the BIS Care Application.
This is an online application developed by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). The application uses artificial intelligence to know the color, carat, clarity, and type of gemstone used in a piece of jewelry. Here’s how to use the GIA Gemsure:
- Visit the GIA Gemsure website
- Get started on the website
- Create an account, if you do not have one.
- Sign in to your account if you already have one.
- Select the jewelry type you want to test
- Take a clear picture of the piece of jewelry.
Note: Always avoid taking blurry images, but if you do, you can always fix the blurriness.
- Upload the picture and wait for some minutes for GIA Gemsure to process it.
- GIA Gemsure will provide information about the authenticity, grade, and type of jewelry.
Gemetrix is a free software application available for android and iPhone users. It is used to identify synthetic and treated gems and diamonds. Here’s how to use the gemetrix app:
- If you are using an android, download and install the Gemetrix application from playstore. If you are using an iPhone, download the application from the Apple store and install.
- Open the application, and create an account.
- Select the type of jewelry you want to test.
- Take a clear photo of the jewelry.
- Upload the photo and wait for Gemetrix to process it.
- Gemetrix will provide information about the jewelry, such as its authenticity and grade.
GIA 4Cs For Mobile
GIA 4Cs for mobile is an easy-to-use mobile application that helps to test the authenticity of jewelry. The application uses a spectral imaging method to analyze the chemical composition of the jewelry. It grades jewelry based on the weight, type of metal, color, and cut. The application is easy to use, reliable, and accurate.
Jewelry Connoisseur is a reliable testing software application for diamonds, gemstones, precious metals, and also fake jewelry. It detects jewelry made of imitation pearls or gemstones.
Just like Gemetrix, all you have to do is to download the software, create an account, choose the jewelry you want to test, and snap a clear picture of it. Wait for a few minutes for the application to process it and display the needed information about the jewelry. The application can be used on Android and iOS devices.
Gold Testing Kit
Just like the name, a Gold testing kit is used to test the authenticity of gold jewelry. There are physical and online gold testing kits. To use the online gold testing kit, visit their website to create a new account. Then, follow the steps below after creating a new account:
- Select the type of jewelry you want to test.
- Take a clear picture of the jewelry.
- Upload the picture to the website.
- Wait for the result to display. The result contains important information that shows the level of authenticity of the jewelry.
Are Jewelry Testing Applications Free?
Not all jewelry testing applications are free. Some are free while others charge an affordable fee.
How Long Does it Take to Get Results from a Jewelry Testing Application?
The duration for processing results by each jewelry testing software differs. While some show results immediately, some display results in a few hours. However, they do not take a very long time to process results.
Are Jewelry Testing Applications Always Accurate?
No, jewelry testing applications are not always accurate. You may need to have your jewelry appraised by a qualified jeweler to be sure of its authenticity.
You can now quickly test the authenticity of your jewelry online using the applications listed in this article. However, note that not all jewelry types can be tested online. This is why you may need to have your jewelry appraised by a qualified jeweler.