Train Ticket Cancellation Charges and Rules
Indian Railway Train ticket cancellation rules are very complex for a general user it is very difficult to know about the Cancellation charges that he has to pay when hr cancel the ticket. So here i will tell you about the Train ticket cancellation charges for Indian railways. These charges depend on the status of your ticket and the time of your cancellation. So i will clearly describe all railways cancellation rules.
Indian railway has different rules for booking/ cancellation and all other. Like it has different rules for online booking and offline booking. Then there is tatkal scheme and then there are rules for chart preparation and cancellation. Also refund rules. So being a experienced user , i will explain all these points clearly in simple language.
Also check :
- IRCTC Train Timings and Seat Availability Between Two Stations
- Booking Irctc Train Ticket using Paytm
- Irctc ewallet Registration
- Book Train Ticket By SMS
- How to create account on Irctc
Railway Train Ticket Cancellation Charges and Rules
Here i will only discuss about the ticket booked in general quota as i have another post for tatkal ticket cancellation rules. Now every class have different rules. Let us now talk about it.
Train Ticket Cancellation rules
- First thing that you need to note is that eticket i.e the online ticket can be cancelled by online and the offline counter ticket can be cancelled only at the counter.
- E ticket can be cancelled only till the chart is not prepared, you can not cancel eticket after chart perpetration. Read more about the Train chart preperation time.
- Eticket in the waiting list after chart prepared will be auto cancel and you can not travel with that ticket.
Train Ticket Cancellation Charges
As i told earlier the cancellation charge for train ticket depends on the the cancellation time, ticket status and your class. So the amount of charge that will be deduct will depend on these three.
Cancellation charge for e-ticket before chart preparation
Here is the cancellation charges of confirmed ticket according to the time frame and the ticket class.
|Before 48 Hours of Train Departure||
Within 48 hrs and
up to 6 hours of Train Departure
Less Than 6 hours of departure
|AC First Class/Executive Class||Rs 120 / Passenger||25% Of the fare to minimum Rs 70||50% Of the fare to minimum Rs 70|
|AC 2 Tier/First Class||Rs 100 / Passenger||25% Of the fare to minimum Rs 60||50% Of the fare to minimum Rs 60|
|AC 3 Tier/AC Chair car/ AC 3 Economy||Rs 90 / Passenger||25% Of the fare to minimum Rs 60||50% Of the fare to minimum Rs 60|
|Sleeper Class||Rs 60 / Passenger||25% Of the fare to minimum Rs 40||50% Of the fare to minimum Rs 40|
|Second Class||Rs 30 / Passenger||25% Of the fare to minimum Rs 20||50% Of the fare to minimum Rs 20|
Cancellation charge for e-ticket After chart preparation
Online ticket can not be cancelled after the chart preparation for normal user. But you can file TDR to get the refund if applicable.
Other Railways Cancellation Rules and Charges
- No refund for a confirmed ticket if refund request is filed after 2 Hrs of train departure.
- No refund for a RAC ticket if refund request is filed after 3 Hrs of train departure.
Cancellation Charges for Waiting list/RAC Ticket
According to Indian railways full refund is given to waiting list and RAC ticket, if cancel before the 3 Hours of train departure. Some clerkage charge are deducted per passenger in this case.
Cancellation Of Train
If due to any case like flood, any disaster or any other reason, if the train is cancelled full refund will be given. The refund will be proceed automatically for the e-ticket, you do not need to file the TDR.
So here i have clearly explained all the rules of train ticket cancellation and all train ticket cancellation charges. If you still have any doubt on cancellation and refunds. Just comment below.